Helpful Pre-care Advice
Many clients are concerned with having visible signs following dermal filler treatment. There are a few key steps you can take to help you both minimise visible bruising and swelling and recover as quickly as possible. The more closely you follow these steps, the faster you will recover and the fewer signs will be visible:
1. Avoid any blood thinners (e.g. alcohol, aspirin, Vitamin E, some herbal preparations and supplements) for 2 days prior to and 2 days after treatment. Thin blood results in increased risk of bruising, so help minimise bruising risk by avoiding anything that can thin your blood.
2. Fresh pineapple has been recommended to eat before, the day of and the day after your treatment – to alleviate and prevent bruising.
3. Take arnica tablets as follows: 2 tablets every 2 hours for 5 days prior to the treatment. The 30c potency are best.
4. You may wish to purchase the products mentioned in the next section PRIOR to your treatment so you don’t need to visit the chemist after treatment.
Protocol for resolving bruising and swelling:
1. Hot compress: very hot water, soak clean cloth, wring out very tight, lay over the face so that the heat and steam goes to the face. Repeat several times, ideally every 2 hours if possible.
2. Benadryl Allergy Relief (containing acrivastine): Available in Superdrug, works in 15 minutes, take as instructed.
3. Arnica cream: Available in Superdrug, apply generously before going to bed, will help resolve bruising.
Dermal Filler Aftercare Advice
✓ Immediately after treatment, there may be slight redness, swelling, tenderness and an itching sensation in the treated area. This is a normal result of the injection. The inconvenience is temporary and generally disappears in a few days. If it continues or if other reactions occur, please call us.
✓ The initial swelling, especially after lip treatment may last longer. Some patients experience swelling for about a week and the lips can look somewhat uneven during this time. This means that the results directly after the treatment should not be seen as the final result.
✓ Avoid touching the treatment area 12 hours after the treatment. After that the area can be gently washed with soap and water and light make-up can be applied. Until the initial swelling and redness have resolved, do not expose the treated area to intense heat (e.g. solarium and sunbathing) or extreme cold. Normally 24 hours.
✓ If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another eruption of cold sores. Take Zovirax prior and after treatment.
✓ If you are using aspirin or any similar medication, be aware that these may increase the bruising and bleeding at the injection site.
How long will a treatment last?
Dermal fillers are long lasting but not permanent. You always have a choice to continue or change the combination of treatments – and the procedure can be repeated as often as you like.
Most, choose to have a follow-up treatment 6 – 12 months after an initial treatment of wrinkles. When the lips have been treated a follow-up is normally needed after about 6 months. A touch-up treatment within 2 – 4 weeks after the initial treatment may be necessary to achieve an optimal correction. There is an additional cost for this.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About Dermal Fillers Aftercare:
Can I go in the sun straight after a dermal filler treatment?
Everyday sun exposure is fine, but avoid the heat of sun beds and sunbathing for 48 hours after treatment.
Can I touch the area that’s been treated after a dermal filler treatment?
The urge to touch the newly treated area can be strong – but resist it! Touching the area freshly treated with dermal fillers carries the risk of causing an infection and inadvertently moving the soft filler to another location. Do not apply makeup for at least 12 hours as bacterial can transfer from makeup and brushes and cause infections. It is ok to cleanse your face as you normally would, but be gentle. Always wash your hands before touching your face otherwise the bacteria can cause an unpleasant infection that will require a course of antibiotics to resolve. After 3 weeks, the filler has settled and the risk of injection is gone, so please do be patient.
Can I go swimming after a dermal filler treatment?
Wait at least 24 hours after a dermal filler treatment before going swimming to be certain that the injection points are fully healed and there is no risk of infection.
Can I go to the gym after a dermal filler treatment?
Yes, provided you avoid increasing the blood pressure to your face (e.g. by yoga or heavy physical activity). Light cardio such as treadmill exercise is actually very beneficial to the recovery process and will help you get through any bruising and swelling much more quickly. Just take it easy for the first few days! If you have any dermal fillers aftercare questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.